"El secreta de la vida está en caerse siete veces y levantarse ocho."
-Paulo Coelho

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Adventure Beginns

Hi Everyone!
Now there's only four days left until I take off to Bolivia, and even though I'm not sitting in the plane quite yet, the adventure for me has, in some ways, already started.
I've been in Germany since almost one and a half months, touring around, visiting relatives, and catching up with friends.  And, of course, taking part in a manditory Seminar to prepare us volunteers for Bolivia.
We did a lot of team-building activities to gain strength as a group, as well as activities to get to know ourselves better because that is a huge part of the year abroad. Not only are we in Bolivia to help the people there and use our knowledge to make improvements, but we are also in Bolivia to learn about a culture completely different from ours and, throughout the year, learn more about ourselves.

Last week I read an amazingly inspiring book (in Spanish!!) by Paolo Coehlo called The Alchemist. It's a great novel about finding your main goal in life and fulfilling that goal - very fitting to my year abroad. All in all, a very recommendable book.

"Cada momento de búsqueda es un momento de encuentro." (Every moment of searching is a moment of finding)

Throughout my time in Germany I've traveled form north to south and east to west,and eve to Amsterdam.

Amsterdam might be the most beautiful city I have ever been to. With the small, narrow streets and old houses it doesn't feel like a big city. And the channels - the "Grachten" - are absolutely stunning.

I also went on "vaccation" from my travels to a small island in the North Sea with my grandma "Oma".  I loved the peace and quiet of the dunes as well as the busier beaches. and the sunsets were beautiful.

Until I fly off, I am staying with my best friend Pia in my old home town, Friedrichsdorf near Frankfurt.

Peace


 Amsterdam at night 

"Gracht"
 Sunset on Wangerooge

No comments:

Post a Comment